- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 2 slices of red onion minced
- 5 green onions sliced (including green part)
- 3 stalks celery minced
- ½ cup dried cherries
- 1/3 cup raw cashew pieces (toasted)
- 1/3 cup raw pecans (toasted)
- 3 Tablespoons Fig Balsamic Vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Cook the rice according to directions on the package
- Put the nuts in an iron skillet and toast on medium heat (stirring often) until just getting fragrant or turning slightly brown (be careful not to burn)
- Mix vinegar and olive oil (I use a coffee cup and extra small whisk)
- Combine rice and all other ingredients
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss
- This salad can be eaten warm or chilled
If you don’t have an iron skillet you can also toast the nuts in the oven at 350.
I was given a bottle of Alta Cucina Italia Balsamic Vinegar of Modena with Figs for Christmas. If you can find it I highly recommend it. It tastes a little sweet and is slightly thicker than plain vinegar.
If you want to serve something that is a little different and very tasty, then this is your salad!
FYI – wild rice really isn’t rice – it’s a seed!