- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 large apples peeled and shredded
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 3 med. Onions diced (1 ½ cups)
- 2 t. salt
- ½ t pepper
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 ½ cups dry red wine
- 1 ½ cups water
- 2 jars (6oz) tomato paste
- 1 t. basil
- ½ t. rosemary
- Combine beef, apples, eggs, 1 c. onion, s & p in a large bowl.
- Mix well and shape into 1-inch meatballs
- Heat oil in large skillet and brown the meatballs (half at a time, remove as browned)
- Add remaining onion to skillet- cook stirring until golden
- Stir in wine, water, tomato paste, basil, and rosemary
- Add meatballs – bring to a boil
- Cover and simmer 5 minutes
- Remove from heat and serve over noodles
- Can also be frozen – to heat afterwards – cover and bake at 400 for 30 minutes – uncover and bake 15 more minutes, stir and then remove after 5 minutes to serve
I can’t remember where I first discovered this recipe, but I’ve been making it for over 30 years.
The flavor is very unique and everyone has loved them.
This year I made them ahead and froze to use for Christmas Eve dinner. When reheating, if I think they need a little more sauce I just add a cup of wine.