- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 eggs beaten
- 1 cup broth
Ingredients for Easy Broth- (see notes for directions)
- 1 large boneless organic chicken breast
- 3 boxes Costco’s (Kirklands) Organic Chicken Broth
- Optional – Better Than Bouillon Roasted Chicken Base
- Salt and pepper
- Mix flour, salt, and baking powder
- Mix the eggs with the broth
- Add the liquid mixture to the flour mixture and mix well
- Put the dough on a floured surface and work (knead) like bread dough until it isn’t sticky
- Roll out thin as noodles (not as thin as pie crust) and cut into squares
- Drop the dumplings into boiling broth one at a time
- Do not stir after they are dropped
- Put a lid on the pot and let simmer for 20 minutes
Obviously, the whole dish is chicken and dumplings. You can cook a whole chicken and make broth from scratch or take the easy way out like I did this time.
I put 3 boxes of Costco’s organic chicken broth in a soup pot and added one very large organic, boneless chicken breast. (I have never used their broth before, but will be buying it again – smells and tastes wonderful). Bring it to a boil and then simmer and cook until the breast is cooked. Bring the breast out of the liquid and break it up with a fork and then add it back to the broth. At this point – taste it and if desired add salt and pepper. If you like a stonger flavor you can add about a tablespoon of Better Than Bouillion, Roasted Chicken Base. (I try to keep a jar of that in the fridge all the time). When you have the flavor the way you want it – proceed with the dumplings.
I actually froze half of the dumplings after I cut them into squares. (The liquid had boiled down and I had more than enough dumplings for 2 people. To do that – lay the cut dumplings out on a cookie sheet (not touching). When they are frozen put them into a zip loc bag or freezer container.
I have checked other dumpling recipes and none were like this one. This one has never failed to make light, wonderful dumplings. I can still see my son making them with his grandmother years ago. Enjoy!