- 1 turkey carcass (leftover from Thanksgiving or Christmas)
- 4 carrots sliced
- 1 small pablano chopped
- 1 small red pepper chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 kalarabi (or turnip) peeled and chopped
- 18 oz crushed tomatoes
- 15 oz cannellini beans
- Chicken stock (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Put the turkey carcass in a large pot, cover it with water, bring it to a boil and then lower to simmer and cover with lid. Let it cook for at least 4 hours adding more water (or chicken stock if you prefer) if needed.
- Remove the carcass. Pick any meat off the bones and put it (the meat) back into the pot – discard the carcass.
- Add all the other ingredients except the beans and simmer till they are soft – probably about another hour.
- Add the beans.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook long enough to heat the beans – serve with a nice baguette and butter.
- The spices that were on the turkey should have added some nice flavor to the soup. If you feel it needs something you can always add Italian seasoning and/or garlic.
This is like a vegetable soup. You can add any vegetables you have or leftovers you want to get rid of. My brother- in- law always did this the day after Thanksgiving and I’ve always said I would do it too. This year I finally did. Great way to use up leftover turkey and turkey on the bone that might otherwise get thrown away.